Friday 19 August 2011

How do I determine if I have a 32 or 64 bit operating system?


It’s good to know what kind of operating system (OS) you have on your computer, that way you’ll be able to download the appropriate kinds of drivers and programs that work best with your configuration. So, how about a tip within a tip for this one? Not only are you going to find out which type of operating system you currently have, but I’ll even show you a quick way to get there!
For Windows XP users – Hold the Windows Key, and then press the Pause Key, which is located two keys to the right of the Print Screen key. As if by some form of electronic magic, the system properties window springs to life! I know, I went a little loopy right there, but I just discovered this trick myself, so I’m giddy! This window shows all of the basic info about your computer like how much RAM you have and what-not, but it also can tell you what OS you’re running. If it doesn’t specifically say Windows XP x64 Edition, then you’re running a 32 bit operating system.

image

For Windows Vista users
– Same drill here: press and hold the Windows Key and then hit the Pause Key. Up comes the system properties window and you’ll notice a specific field that says “System Type”, which has your OS type listed after it. Vista will actually tell you 32 bit or 64 bit.

image
And there you have it!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...